unofficial election results from the la city clerk with all precincts reporting | http://bit.ly/14tnzk2
March 6, 2013
|MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF ED, DIST NO. 2|
|ROBERT D. SKEELS||4105||15.06|
|MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF ED, DIST NO. 4|
|MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF ED, DIST NO. 6|
|MONICA RATLIFF||10351||34.12||TO RUNOFF|
|ANTONIO SANCHEZ||13087||43.15||TO RUNOFF|
|CITY OF LOS ANGELES||1817107||292760||16.11%|
|OUTSIDE LA - LAUSD AND LACCD||157296||9270|| |
smf: It’s too early in the post mortem for a final conclusion - (pending toxology results?) and too early in the morning - one cup of coffee - to write an essay.
As in baseball:
- Sometimes you win.
- Sometimes you lose.
- Sometimes the game is put off because of rain.
- Never shortchange the power of incumbency.
- The huge infusion of outside/foreign money didn’t work in District 4. Zimmer beat Anderson the old fashioned way: by putting up a spirited fight, walking precincts, telling truth to power and getting out the vote.
- The huge infusion of foreign money did work in District 2 – and the Anyone but Monica strategy failed. With no standout candidate in opposition – and no serious money arrayed against her – Garcia was able to avoid the run-off the strategy relied upon. And the abysmal voter turnout contributed to the result.
- In District 6 the result is interesting. The money spent by the ®eform ©oalition contributed to Sanchez’ plurality …but Ratliff’s strong showing shows resistance to the Deasy/®eform agenda. Fasten your seatbelt, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.
- It would be nice to be able to say the The Millions from Billionaires Didn’t Work – but the truth is The Millions from Billionaires Didn’t Work Very Well – but the less voters who vote the stronger the effect of outside money. A cost benefit analysis of Mayor Bloomberg’s million (and all the other outside money) won’t make many data-driven bean counters happy: How much did each vote cost?
And that money didn’t help the educational outcome of a single child. In the end, lest we forget, it isn’t about the politics - it’s about the children.