New Miramonte Elementary School Abuse Claims Against LAUSD
Approval of the latest case to move forward comes two months after the LAUSD settled cases involving a former teacher
By John Cádiz Klemack | NBC News | http://bit.ly/1J83S7C
After record payout, LAUSD facing another Miramonte abuse claim
by Craig Clough | LA School Report | http://bit.ly/1yHFPcJ
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 • Updated at 11:54 AM PST :: Two months almost to the day since officials with the Los Angeles Unified School District thought they had settled all of the cases in the Miramonte Elementary School child abuse scandal, an LA County Superior Court judge gave the approval for one more case to move forward ……..
UPDATE: Friday 13 February 2015
Posted on January 20, 2015 2:15 pm :: LA Unified is facing yet another civil suit connected to a former teacher at Miramonte Elementary School after an LA County Superior Court judge ruled today that the case can move forward.
The case, E.Z. v LAUSD, was filed May 7 and involves a single plaintiff who says she was a student of Mark Berndt‘s in 1996-1997, according to NBC Los Angeles.
Berndt was convicted in 2013 of committing 23 counts of lewd conduct upon a child and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. In November, a $139 million civil settlement for 81 former students of Berndt’s — a record payout for the district — came after the district had previously settled other 65 claims for about $30 million.
The November settlement was described as the last of the remaining Miramonte cases facing a possible trial.
The plaintiff in the new case, a 29-year-old female, is claiming to have received similar abuse for which Berndt was convicted, NBC reported.
On the November settlement, LAUSD Superintendent Ramon Cortines said at the time that the the deal “struck a balance” for the two sides.
“Our goal from the outset of these appalling revelations has been to spare the Miramonte community the anguish of a protracted trial, while at the same time being mindful of the financial consequences stemming from settlements,” Cortines said in a statement issued by the district.
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
NEW MIRAMONTE ABUSE CLAIM MOVES FORWARD
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment