Sunday, July 17, 2011

What’s with that?: LAUSD’s BURROUGHS MIDDLE SCHOOL ADVERTISES ON L.A. TIMES WEBSITE

by smf for 4LAKidsNews

I am sure we are all used to seeing ads for private schools and charter operators on newspaper’s online pages. I used to produce television commercials. At one time I worked for an ad agency, my grandfather owned one. 

Placement of click-through ads on online editorial pages worries me. How conflicted can the interests of editorial page writers be with the advertising department when they accept ads from the especially interested?

Most newspapers do not accept advertising on their print Op-Ed pages for this very reason.

Advertising is newspapers’ principal revenue stream – ads are online newspapers’ only revenue stream.

If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em: Last week I encountered a click-through ad on the Daily News site for LAUSD itself. Some might question the wisdom of that kind of general fund expense in these times – I counter that any attempt to get a positive message out is probably well tried!  And I don’t know that the newspapers aren't offering the ads free as a public service.

This morning I came across the following on The Times Editorial Page online:

burroughs ad

I congratulate the folks at Burroughs Middle School – whether parents, faculty, boosters, PTA  or community – who are making this effort.

I think.

As long as they have a school nurse and a school librarian  …or if this is an effort to be sure they have those things!

"For anything worth having one must pay the price; and the price is always work, patience, love, self-sacrifice - no paper currency, no promises to pay, but the gold of real service."

John Burroughs 

(April 3, 1837 – March 29, 1921)

No comments: