Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Statement from Superintendent Ramon C. Cortines: ALL SCHOOLS WILL BE OPEN ON THURSDAY

LAUSD News Statement: For Immediate Release

January 19, 2011

You have no doubt heard about the recent shootings at or near three of our high schools. Let me first express my concern for the students who were injured in the accidental shooting at Gardena High School, the student shot near Bell High School shortly after dismissal today, and for our school police officer who was shot earlier today in the vicinity of El Camino Real High School. I wish them all a speedy and full recovery.

Let me also express my gratitude to all of the law enforcement agencies that responded to these tragedies: the Los Angeles School Police; the Los Angeles Police Department; the Gardena Police Department, the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department; the Bell Police Department; the California Highway Patrol and all others.

I would also like to thank all medical personnel at the hospitals that treated our students and our officer, and the first responders including those from the Los Angeles City Fire Department.

Parents and guardians, let me express my admiration for your patience and understanding while 10 schools were on campus protection in the past two days. I’m happy to report that campus protection has been lifted at all of our impacted schools and students have been reunited with their families.

In the aftermath of everything that has happened in the past two days, I want to reassure everyone that the safety of students and staff is our highest priority at the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).

I want you to know that all LAUSD schools will be open on Thursday. In addition to a stronger presence by the Los Angeles School Police at our high schools, the Los Angeles Police Department also will have a presence at our campuses. The LAUSD policy requiring daily random searches with a metal detector will be enforced at all high schools.

We cannot let these recent acts of violence deter us from our mission of educating our students to reach their fullest potential.

###

No comments: