LA Times/ LA Now blog| http://bit.ly/6RvGIg
January 20, 2010 | 3:29 pm -- The University of California will break its tradition and establish waiting lists this spring for freshman admissions as it copes with uncertainty over state funding, officials said Wednesday.
UC has not previously used waiting lists across its system, and not all of its nine undergraduate campuses will do so this spring, administrators said during a UC regents meeting in San Francisco. But they predicted that most campuses will adopt the lists, at least to a limited extent, while the university decides whether to cut freshman enrollment for fall 2010.
For the current freshman class, UC reduced enrollment by about 2,300, or about 6%, in response to state budget cuts. Patrick Lenz, UC's vice president for budget, said he hoped to avoid another reduction of that magnitude. "I don’t think it's going to be as severe as 2,300, but there could be some," he said.