U.S. Department of Education sent this bulletin at 09/15/2014 04:10 PM EDT | by email
The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics is pleased to invite you to participate in:
A WEBINAR on College- and Career-Ready Standards
Wednesday, September 17th, at 2:00-3:10pm EDT / 11am – 12:10pm PDT
This is part of a monthly webinar series, designed to share information and foster peer networking around key education topics of interest to the Hispanic community. The webinars:
* Present information about federal investments or initiatives on key topics
* Highlight examples of Bright Spots, programs or models that address these key topics in the Hispanic community
* Initiate a dialogue among Hispanic community leaders to share promising practices, provide peer advice, and explore collaboration on the key topics
This month’s webinar will focus on college- and career-ready standards. Education systems only are as strong as the expectations they hold for their students. But for too long, our nation's schools have not set consistently rigorous goals for students. There is growing consensus that America's students need to be prepared to compete in a world that demands more than just basic skills. Over the past several years, states have taken the lead in developing and adopting rigorous standards in English language arts and mathematics that build toward college and career readiness by the time students graduate from high school. The webinar will include a presentation from Terra Wallin, Management and Program Analyst, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education at the U.S. Department of Education, describing the Department’s agenda on college- and career-ready standards, and how states have worked on this issue. In the second half of the webinar, Gabriela Uro, Manager for English Language Learner Policy and Research at the Council of the Great City Schools, will share information about valuable resources and tools developed by the Council to support implementation of the new standards with Latino students and English language learners (ELLs) in mind.
* Terra Wallin, Management and Program Analyst, Office of Elementary and Secondard (sic) Education, U.S. Department of Education
* Gabriela Uro, English Language Learner Policy and Research Manager, Council of the Great City Schools
Webinar on College- and Career-Ready Standards
Wednesday, September 17th, 2014, at 2:00-3:10 pm EDT 11am – 12:10pm PDT
This webinar is off the record and not for press purposes.
The webinar will be conducted via WebEX and telephone. To join online via WebEX:
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Enter the session password: welcome
4. Click "Join Now".
5. Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
WebEX technical support -- 866-449-0701, option #3
To join the audio portion:
Call-in number: 800-593-9979
In order to hear the audio during the webinar, you must dial-in the conference number on your phone.
You must RSVP in order to receive the presentation materials that will be reviewed during the call. You can RSVP at this link.
You can find additional information on our webinar series, including summaries and audio from previously held webinars on our website.
Please feel free to share this invitation with your networks. We hope that you join us on Wednesday, September 17!
- The WHIEEH Team