The 29th Annual Mount Washington School Pancake Breakfast is a fundraiser and Membership Kickoff for the Mt Washington PTA – but mostly it’s is a community get together at the school for a community centered on the school – a high performing prize winning school that produces high test scores and bright engaged well-educated young people. It may be the excellent teachers+staff or the demographics or the Prius-to-Hummer ratio; it may be something in the water (The Mt. Washington aquifer serves as the source for the Sparkletts Company in Los Angeles) or it may be the secret pancake recipe.
It’s probably the people who live in the community;quirky people and a quirky community made famous by the late great LA Times columnist Jack Smith.
People who come together in September with their children on the school grounds and eat pancakes and discuss any and everything worth discussing among themselves and the politicians who inevitably show up:
- Public Education
- Music and the Arts
- Land Use
- Sports and the Weather
- Sex, Politics and Religion
I am neither the ringleader nor the troublemaker-in-chief … but I will be there and I will be open to any and all discussion about the above and/or:
- LAUSD after Deasy
- MiSiS and Norm Day
- iPads, Pearson and Apple
- Bennett, Steve, Tamar, Dr. V., Monica I, Monica II, & George III
- The Bond Oversight Committee
- Shoes, ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings – and why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings.
This year there will also be a marketplace of locally produced arts, crafts and who-knows-what all
Mount Washington Elementary School
3881 San Rafael Ave
Los Angeles, 90065
Bring $! It’s a fundraiser! I think the pancakes are $5 for kids and $8 for adults with sausage and coffee and juices and fruit.
IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO MT WASHINGTON SCHOOL IGNORE WHAT YOUR GPS TELLS YOU AND COME UP THE HILL FROM THE NORTH, TAKING SAN RAFAEL SOUTH FROM THE INTERSECTION OF SAN RAFAEL AND TERRACE 49.
- From the AVE 52 off ramp of the Pasadena 110 Fwy take Ave 52 Northwest (Left turn from Pasadena, Rt turn from LA )
- Head northwest on S Ave 52 toward S Ave 51/Longfellow St 0.2 mi
- TURN LEFT ONTO N FIGUEROA ST 0.2 mi
- TAKE THE 2ND RIGHT ONTO N AVENUE 50 0.6 mi
- Drive to San Rafael Ave 1.1 mi / 4 min
- TURN LEFT ONTO SAN RAFAEL AVE 499 ft
- San Rafael WINDS UP THE HILL about 1¼ Miles.