from a flyer circulated at the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit at Sotomayor High School today by California School Health Educators
April 5, 2012 :: WE do care if Los Angeles students are pregnant, depressed, suicidal, obese, using drugs, smoking, and suffering from STDS, diabetes and asthma.
A report to the LAUSD Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment Committee (CIA) cuts high school health education and triggers the following “cause and affects”:
- The District no longer will teach obesity prevention = our students die from being fat!
- The Districts ends diabetes education = weeds out a number of Latino students with pre-existing health conditions!
- The District cuts heart health education = Latino students die at a younger age due to heart disease.
- The District slices suicide prevention education = more Latinos at risk of dying young.
- The District axes bullying education = triggers a suicidal affect.
- The District cuts asthma education = Latino students choke to death.
- The Districts cuts mental health education = increases depression and suicide among Latino students.
These reductions and cuts should not be compared with cutting a Math, English or Science COURSE in which the student passes or fails a class at the end of each school year. If a student doesn’t receive health education the district risks placing the student and the communities’ health in danger, something that a math or science course can’t trigger nor be responsible for. The district is accountable for the health and well being of our student population and our community!
Downsizing health education has the potential of being classified as a discriminatory ACTION, considering that the majority of the schools experiencing a health education crisis are located in under served communities of color. We have data to support these claims.
Have you ever tried to take an exit exam while have a diabetic reaction or asthma attack or a baby kicking inside your uterus? This is no joke!
What can you do to help all students regardless of race and ethnic background live a healthy long life?
Go to www.CASHE.org and see the legislative section.
See for yourself the District CIA recommendations.
Join others! Advocate to OPPOSE the LAUSD high school health education cut.
SI SE PUEDE!