Tuesday, January 24, 2012

GET YOUR LATTÉ, DONOR’S CHOOSE CARD (and soon) BEER + WINE AT STARBUCKS: Bake Sale Fundraising for the Socially Networked?

by smf for 4LAKidsNews

@DrDeasyLAUSD announced Monday in a blizzard of tweets that his and the Wasserman Foundations' Donor’s Choose fundraiser for teacher projects is getting caffeinated at select Starbucks stores in the city of Los Angeles. And Starbucks announced that they would soon start serving beer, wine and cheese at selected cafés …which I guess become bistros.

If you are not detecting a socioeconomic disconnect between the Donors Choose target audience of LAUSD Parents and the Starbucks demographic – or a geographic disconnect (LAUSD serves 25 other jurisdictions besides the City of L.A.) - I’m not going to go there.

I’m white, I’m middle class, I drive an SUV, my wife a hybrid – I’ll go and support the effort .

PS: I lied about not going there: This is bake sale/gift wrap/candy drive fundraising for the socially networked.

"I will have no man in my boat," said Starbuck, "who is not afraid of a whale." By this, he seemed to mean, not only that the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril, but that an utterly fearless man is a far more dangerous comrade than a coward.

—Melville: Moby Dick, Chapter 26

No comments: