From a “Heads Up” from a 4LAKids reader.
- 73 high schools are getting $30,603, regardless of enrollment and/or programs,
- 7 of them are getting $15,303, and
- 5 of them are getting zero, nada, zilch.
Is that enough to keep high school athletics alive at LAUSD?
What will be the ramifications of this funding decision?
What will be the response of parents and alumni?
What will voters who voted for Prop 30 say?
Methodology: The total allocation to athletics in FY 2013-14, as derived from adding the athletic budget for each high school.
- Said budget obtained by downloading from LAUSD's servers in the last week or so, was $5,577,510.
- Doing the same from the release of the school budgets made on June 8, the total athletic budget for FY 2014-15 is $2,341,215.
- Of course, all budget decisions are made at the school sites – that’s where the local control decision makers are. There was no central hand or direction from Beaudry to cut the overall LAUSD athletics budget 58%.